Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Cole's Birth Story

Monday, November 7, 2011:
After having contractions on and off all day Sunday and throughout Sunday night, they seemed to subside Monday morning. They were only coming on when I changed position or walked around, so I stayed still! Dave went ahead and went to work for the morning and was going to be home around noon for my doctor's appointment at 2:15. Around eleven, the pain became constant. I wasn't sure if it was contractions or not because there was no rhythm to them, it was just constant pain. I just kept thinking, "I'm such a wimp", I'm not even in labor yet! (little did I know I was!). I debated calling the doctor and asking if I should go to the hospital or just come in to my appointment. Dave and I decided I would just wait for my appointment and go from there. To be safe, we took our hospital bags with us when we left!

Although I love my doctor, I have never had a "quick" appointment because of the long wait time. My appointment was at 2:15 and I didn't get to see the doctor until about 3:45. This was not a fun hour and a half with constant contractions! Luckily, Dave rubbed my back and was there to support me. The doctor examined me and told us to get ready because I was 5 centimeters dilated! We were shocked! Just yesterday I was only 2 and making zero progress! I guess all those contractions were doing their job! Dave called my mom and told her to go ahead and come down! I think we were all a bit worried they wouldn't make it in time considering I was half-way dilated! We arrived at the hospital and got all checked in.

Next, they told us to walk the halls to get things going. We walked for about an hour or so and got checked then told to walk again! As we were walking, mom and Mimi arrived! Once everyone was settled the doctor told me to go ahead and get in bed because my blood tests showed elevated levels of something (sorry I don't remember) which could cause my blood pressure to rise. 

The contractions got worse and worse as Dad, Joan, and Phil arrived to wish me well. Mom and Dave were very supportive as I struggled through them. Then, they decided to break my water to get things moving along. Turns out Cole already had a bowel movement so my fluid had meconium, which they said not to worry about, but I did anyway! They also started me on pitocin to try to get more regular, stronger contractions. I watched on the screen as each one came  and lasted longer and longer! When they were so painful I couldn't watch anymore, Mom and Dave would tell me when the worst part was over. After one particular contraction that went off the chart and lasted twice as long as the rest had, I decided it was time for the epidural!


I hadn't been dilating quickly, so I figured it would be a long haul and I would need some pain relief. Boy, could I kiss that anesthesiologist on the mouth! I was a new woman when he was done!!!! We were hoping it would relax my body enough to help me dilate but still, stuck at 6-7 cm. The doctor told me she could feel Cole's head and she could tell there was still A LOT more of it. This concerned her because I was not dilating and he was VERY BIG. That's when a c-section was mentioned. After monitoring me for a little while longer and seeing no progress, Dave was told to put on his scrubs!

In no time I was being wheeled to the operating room with Dave by my side. We passed the whole family waiting for us and they wished me well. I grew more nervous as we went down each hallway. I began feeling nauseated as well. I think this was a combination of nerves and low blood sugar. Dave had to wait in a separate room as they prepped me. He says it felt like FOREVER and was afraid they forgot to come back and get him. Once all was ready, he joined me.

Tuesday November 8, 2011: 12:45am: In what seemed like 30 seconds, Colton Ray Williamson was born! It was all happening so fast and I was a whirlwind of emotions and feelings! I was feeling pretty sick and also drowsy due to the medicine. I heard the doctor say "there is a lot of baby to get out of here!" Dave stood up to watch and said he couldn't believe how big Cole was! The doctor swore he was 11 pounds or over, I thought he was just kidding us! (he was really 10 pounds 14 oz)!! He started crying half-way from me to the table where the nurse's were cleaning him off. That was the best sound I could ever imagine hearing! They brought him to me for a kiss and then Daddy and Cole were off to the nursery as I headed into recovery. 

Unfortunately, I was so drowsy and out of it from the medicine that I didn't get to see Cole for a few hours after birth :( But, Daddy stayed with him the whole time and held his little hand. I finally got to hold Cole around 4am and I will never forget it! 

I can't believe I have a son and I am so blessed to have a wonderful husband who is already the perfect father!






2 comments:

  1. Lindsay,
    That was a beautiful story! You are so very blessed with such a beautiful baby and a wonderful husband, but they have a wonderful and the sweetest mother and wife in the whole wide world. Congrats again! Can't wait to meet him!

    Love,
    Bett & Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what seems like the millionth time--CONGRATULATIONS!!! Even though I have already talked to you and heard you tell Cole's birth story, it did not stop me fro tearing up as I read what you wrote! I am so happy for you and Dave and your precious bundle of boy...I can't wait until Christmas so I can see you all! :)

    ReplyDelete