Saturday, June 4, 2011

First Post:

I've been trying to find time to start this blog, and now that the school year is finally winding down, I can actually work on it. I've read so many other friends' blogs and have loved them so I apologize if I steal some ideas from you ladies! The main purpose of this blog is to keep friends and family informed on the growth and progress of our little blessing. Here is an overview of what has happened thus far in my pregnancy:

March 4th: Big Fat Positive!
I had been feeling a little off and thought, I'll just take a test to see. I really didn't think I could be pregnant that fast, Dave and I had only been trying since January. Sure enough, the line turned blue IMMEDIATELY! I think we were both in shock at first, in fact, Dave said "Let's just wait the full 2 minutes" but I assured him the line was NOT going to disappear! I took two more tests after that! :) We went out to dinner that night to celebrate and agreed that we wouldn't tell our families or friends until the following Friday. We were already going to visit my family in Elkton the next Friday to celebrate Lexi's birthday! What a perfect time to tell them about this exciting news! We found "Grandparent" frames and a "Great-Grandma" frame for Mimi. I found a cute "baby to be" poem that I printed out to put in the frames.

March 11th: Spreading the News!
I could not get to Elkton fast enough!!!! The entire way up, Dave and I just kept laughing and thinking about how they would react. My side of the family is pretty animated so we knew it would be entertaining! We devised a plan that once we carried our bags to my bedroom we would come back out and hand them the frames because I just couldn't wait ANY longer. When we arrived, there was the normal chaos of dogs barking and chasing, hugs, and kisses. Once everything settled, we went in the bedroom and got the frames. We handed one to Mimi and one to Mom. Mimi was the first one to realize what the frame actually said and when Mom and Dad caught on it was quite a scene, which included crying, laughing, screaming, and jumping for joy. Crystal and Lexi were also visiting so they got in on the action as well.
When we came home on Sunday, we knew Dave's parents would be stopping by our house. We also got them the same frame and were equally excited to share the news with them. They had been away on a mini-vacation and after telling us about the events of their weekend I could hardly wait to bust out the frame. Sure enough, they were just as surprised and excited as our family in Elkton. The rest of the weekend was pretty much baby-talk and everyone still in disbelief. We swore them all to secrecy until I had my first appointment, about a month after that.

March 14th: First speedbump...
Unfortunately after all of our celebrating, I had experienced some spotting and was very worried. I called my new OB/GYN but they could not see me yet b/c I had not been in for my first appointment ( I still don't understand this!). So, I called my old GYN Dr. Tietgens in Elkton. She did not hesitate and asked if I could be there at 11am. This was at 9am and I was two hours away. Needless to say, I had to go in to school to tell my principal that a) I'm pregnant, b) I'm having some complications, and c) my doctor wants to see me and I have to leave now (5 minutes before school starts)! Talk about stressful! Luckily I have a wonderful 2nd grade team who got plans ready for me and took care of everything. That was one of the longest 2 hour rides of my life. Mom met me at the doctor's office and we continued to wait. I got blood work done and got my first ultrasound. During the ultrasound we could see that there was a little heartbeat fluttering away! My blood work also came back fine. Needless to say, we were relieved. I was also disappointed that Dave wasn't there with me to see our first image of our baby, but at least it was there and healthy. Dr. Tietgens sent me for another sonogram 2 weeks later down in Seaford, closer to our house. Dave came with me to that appointment and we got to see Baby Williamson again! We even got to hear the heartbeat, a BEAUTIFUL sound!


First Ultrasound-5 weeks!

Second Ultrasound-8 weeks! I know it looks like two babies but it's NOT!

April 8th: First Appointment
I was excited for the 8th to come for two reasons: my 28th birthday and our first appointment! Dave and I both took the day off and were looking forward to it for weeks. I opened my birthday gifts before we went. My husband is so sweet. He made me a coupon book for a haircut and color, money for new bras (b/c he read I would need them soon), and an oil change. He also bought me a Phillies maternity shirt and tickets for a game on August 27th! He enclosed a paper that explained he got Diamond Club Tickets which include and air-conditioned room, food service at your seat, and extra-wide seats! I had to laugh thinking about what I would look like by then and I will probably be very thankful for those extra-wide seats. Then, we were off to our appointment. I really didn't know anything about the doctor I was seeing. All of my friends down here go to doctors in opposite directions of our house so I just had to choose blindly. They asked a lot of questions and did an examination. I had told her about the spotting I had experienced and she said it could be normal, or it could be a sign of miscarriage (very comforting, huh?). Since it was too early to hear a heartbeat using her doppler, she did a sonogram. Their machine is from at least the 1950s so the picture was much different from the one we had seen at the hospital! But still, we could see the heartbeat! I asked her to print out a picture for us and she replied "You know it doesn't look like much right now, right?" I told her I still wanted a picture. I don't care if it looks like a dot on a screen, that is our BABY! Needless to say, I left the appointment a little disappointed in the doctor. We decided to keep our next appointment though, as it would be with Dr. Cabrera, the other doctor in the practice.
About 10 weeks

A few weeks later, we had to see Dr. Cabrera a little earlier than expected. Again, I had some spotting, however, this was much heavier than before. And again, it happened right before school started, so my team pulled through again for me! We saw Dr. Cabrera mid-morning and he was a breath of fresh air! I just wanted to hug him. He was comforting and reassuring and cheerful. We saw our baby again on a sonogram and this time he pointed out the head and body and printed out pictures without me even asking. He also noticed that my placenta was low-lying, this is what was causing my spotting! Finally, an ANSWER! I was sick of hearing, "its normal, or it might not be". Since then I have had to take it easy in the gym and elsewhere so not to irritate it. He said they would normally not look for a low-lying placenta this early b/c it usually moves by itself by mid-pregnancy. If it doesn't move, it just means I will need to have a c-section and take it really EASY towards the end of my pregnancy.

May 3: 13 week appointment!
At my 13 week appointment we met with Dr. Cabrera again. He said they normally don't do sonograms so often but he wanted to check my placenta. So, we got to see Baby Williamson again! And this time, it looked like a human!!!! It was moving all around and even looked like it was putting its hands up to its mouth! My placenta had also moved a tad which was good news!
Finally looks like a real baby! :)


May 31: 17 weeks!
We couldn't meet with Dr. Cabrera this day, but I thought I'd give the other doctor a second chance. She was again short and to the point. However, we didn't have to wait long to be seen and we got to hear the heartbeat for the first time in months! It was a strong 155 bpm and our baby is sitting pretty low because she had a hard time finding it at first. We also scheduled our next appointment for July 5th and our BIG ULTRASOUND for the anatomy scan on June 17th! I am both extremely excited for the anatomy scan and nervous as well. We will get to find out the sex of the baby and they will also be checking the heart, limbs, and all of the other important stuff. I just pray everything looks perfect and healthy! I am excited we will get to see a really clear picture of the baby as well because our appointment is at the Mears Center which has MUCH better equipment than our doctor's office. Although the technician will see the sex of the baby on the 17th, we are not finding out until the 18th. We are going to have the tech write it down and put it in the envelope and then have both families over for a BBQ the next day. That way we can all find out together and have it be a little bit of a surprise! I told my Mom I wish we could have a Breakfast BBQ so I don't have to wait all day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment